2001 T & L Symposium
The symposium was successfully held on December 12, 2001. We would like to extend our gratitude to all speakers and guests for their genuine support and contribution throughout the event in particular. We would like to express our appreciation to Dr Alice Lam, Chairman of University Grants Committee, and Prof Eric Mazur, Harvard College Professor, for their unfailing support.
The Teaching and Learning Symposium will be a biennial event, aimed at assuring the continuous improvement of the quality of teaching and learning in the University. The emphasis is on sharing experiences and innovations among colleagues in the wider University community.
Specific objectives for this symposium are:
- To disseminate innovative teaching approaches at HKUST in a number of specific areas:
- the quality of student learning in terms of developing critical thinking
- helping students to work together in teams and to take responsibility for their own learning
- exploring the issues surrounding initiatives in on-line teaching and learning
- To provide an opportunity for colleagues to meet and discuss their teaching initiatives across the Schools and Departments of the University and with colleagues from other universities in Hong Kong
- To disseminate the proceedings to a wide audience after the Symposium
- To record the University's achievements in promoting teaching and learning quality