FAQs (For Instructors)
- In an SFQ survey exercise, when will the survey results be made available to instructors?
- Under what condition can a student be excluded from participating in an SFQ survey?
- Should auditing students be allowed to complete an SFQ survey?
- Where can instructors find their past SFQ (or formerly course evaluation) reports?
- Where can instructors find out what SFQ surveys have been set up for the courses they teach?
- How can instructors know if students are actively responding to the SFQ surveys?
A : SFQ reports which contain aggregate statistics (i.e. department, school and university level) will generally be available about a week after the deadline for submission of course grades. However, a provisional report with no aggregate statistics can be generated by the authorized departmental administrative staff after the survey is completed. Release of both the provisional and official reports to the instructor should be made only if he or she has submitted all the final course grades.
A : Starting from Fall 2003, students who were found cheating or plagiarizing, the instructor can make a request to exclude the student from participating in the evaluation of the section where the said dishonest behavior took place. This is intended to protect the instructor from retaliation by students accused of cheating and plagiarizing. For requests made based on reasons other than the aforesaid one, they will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Office of the Provost. All such requests should be made to CELT using a standard form on or before week 11. Late requests may not be entertained, especially when the student concerned has already completed the survey.
A : It is at the discretion of the department whether to let auditing students to evaluate a course. The rationale behind this is there is quite a lot of variation on the demand made on students auditing a course. If the auditing students are required to participate actively in the course like an enrolled student, they should be allowed to evaluate the course.
A : Instructors should be able to find their past SFQ survey reports (or formerly course evaluation reports) through HKUST's Learning Management and Evaluation System (LMES, http://lmes.ust.hk) or Canvas (https://canvas.ust.hk)..